Thursday, August 28, 2008

"Pleasant thoughts" on tomatoes

It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato. ~ Lewis Grizzard

As expected, our first Brandywine tomato was just the beginning. Last week I picked more Brandywines and over 13 pounds of Marianas.
We're enjoying the Brandywines fresh off the vine. And the Marianas? Well, here's what happened to them:

blanched and peeled

We had a nice assembly line going from the stove to the sink that made short work of this task.

Then, I halved the tomatoes, stuffed them into jars, and processed in the canner for 1.5 hours. It was time-consuming, but so many of our favorite dishes call for tomatoes; it will be worth the effort come winter.

halved, in juice, ready to eat ... later!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Laura: Those are absolutely GORGEOUS! I got one measly tomato this year...too hot I think and I was forced to use pots which don't do so well up here. My goal, eventually, is to clear an area in the back yard and create a raised vegetable garden where I can grow tons and tons of tomatoes (among other things). Until then, I'll just drool over yours!