Thursday, October 9, 2008

Rewards of volunteering

I'm now working 2 Sundays per month at the bird rescue, whose mission is "rehabilitation of injured, orphaned, and oiled native wild birds, with the goal of returning healthy birds to their natural environment". Note the word, wild. And yet, occasionally a domestic bird is brought into the center, and the staff work to find a home for it when it's ready for release. This is just what happened on my first shift, and that very day I brought home two domestic ducks. They have assimilated well into our little flock.

Much to my delight, last Sunday I was once again in the right place at the right time. Same supervisor on duty, too. In reviewing the caseload, she mentioned two adult domestic geese, who came to the center after someone released them, and they were struck by a car on a busy road. The supervisor said they were looking to place the geese when they were ready, and she cast a glance my way. How could I resist? I went to see them in their enclosure, and even snapped a photo on my phone to show the family. And today they were ready to come home.


I think I'm developing a reputation there as "the volunteer who will adopt domestic waterfowl" ... and I have no problem with that!

5 comments:

Tiffin said...

hooray, hooray! They'll help keep the grass trimmed and make the best warning system if anyone strange is around. Are they named yet?

Marie Cloutier said...

aww :-) it's so nice that you do that work.

Mel said...

Hi Laura,
Hope you go back to blogging soon!
¡¡¡Feliz Navidad!!!
Merry Christmas!!!
Hugs from Peru,
Mel

LisaMM said...

Good for you! Maybe you should go by the nickname "Birdlady" LOL

Wendy said...

I just tagged you for a photo meme...come play!